Freitag, 24. Juli 2020

Read: Kwana Jacks - Real men knit 🇺🇸

Getting books through the Libby app is always a little bit like having a schedule of holidays that get thrown on you in random order:
July 1: You want Christmas? Here it is, take it or leave it!
July 2: You want Easter? Here it finally comes, don’t care if you are just celebrating Christmas in July!
July 3: Here comes Thanksgiving!

Then three months nothing.

right now, Libby is throwing books at me left and right, and I have a hard time keeping up, but I was very excited about this one and it was a fast read, so I squeezed it in.




Kerry is a twenty something living in Harlem, scraping by on two half time jobs, one in Mama Joy’s yarn shop, the other one in a community center where she takes care of students in the afternoon and during school breaks (this book is positively Corona-circumstances free).

But Mama Joy just passed away, and the big question is: What are her four adoptive sons - of course one hotter than the other - going to do with the shop?

Of course you might have an idea how this plot is going to play right now, and you won’t be disappointed.
It’s a fun read with a very flat suspension curve.

What I didn’t particularly enjoy was the writing style. I think it got somewhat better in the end, but it was very descriptive and also very repetitive, what drove me nuts in parts.
One example is that Mama Joy is over and over described as a Saint walking the earth, beloved by everyone, but in the end, we still no nothing about her besides the fact that she was the most amazing woman ever.
So the author keeps telling how wonderful she is, but that’s it. 

Also some passages had me really wonder if I lost track and reread them accidentally because some phrases were just repeated three times over, and that really annoyed me. 

I also have to admit that I don’t think that the main male figure, Jessy, was all that convincing.
He is 28 and he basically did nothing since High School, while his brothers became a financial advisor, a dancer and a firefighter.
So really? Wonderful, amazing, Saint walking the earth Mama Joy had him under the roof for 10 years doing nothing? 
I really can’t bring this together, and I think she would have totally kicked is butt and at least have him help around the shop, bring out the trash or help the older members of the community getting their shopping done?

Overall, and okay read.


Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen