Freitag, 14. August 2020

Read: Chanel Cleeton - The Last Train to Key West đŸ‡ș🇾

 I waited for quite some time to get this book delivered by my library, and I totally get why.


Chanel Cleeton’s book “The Last Train to Key West” is really a wonderful book.

It is set to play on the Florida Keys, and inspired by a true historical event: 
The horrible Labor Day Hurricane in 1935.

It tells the story of three totally different women, all affected by “the Great War” and the 1929 depression in some ways.

Helen, a local, is waiting tables and married to Tom, who turned out to be the worst possible spouse. Drinking away all their small earnings, he is a wife beater on top.

Mirta comes to Key West from Cuba by Ferry. To secure her families wellbeing, she agreed to marry a total stranger, Anthony. Anxious and nervous about this marriage to a stranger that brought her to a far away country, she tries to navigate her life as a newly wed. 

Elizabeth is a New York socialite who’s family fell deep and out of grace during the depression. Her last rescue is to take the train to Key West to search for someone who is very important to her. Also, it brings her away from a man to whom her destiny ist tied - but she wants out.

For a short moment, both visitors meet Helen at Ruby’s diner in Key West, and their fates become entangled.

I really, really enjoyed reading this book, I loved the historical details, it brought back great memories of the Keys (I want there in the last century, folks...), and I also liked the writing. Though not terribly suspenseful, it was engaging and I really connected to all three women.

I will check out other books by Chanel Cleeton for sure.




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen