Dienstag, 12. Januar 2021

🇺🇸 Read: V.E. Schwab: The invisible life of Addie LaRue

 So - This is my first finish for 2021.


I waited several month to get this book from my library, and heard so many good things.

And for like, 9 hours out of 11 (reading time) I seriously wondered why. 

One word: boring.

It should have been a dramatic book, with love, war, inventions, losses, wins raging through every page, but for a lot of time, there is nothing but Addie complaining about EVERYTHING.

And so, nothing comes to life, not Addie, not Paris, not France, not the World, not Henry. Not even the stupid cat. Brooklyn, maybe.

Also, just FYI, Sacre Coeur wasn’t build until the end of the 1890s, so she cannot sit at the steps of the church in the 18th century. 

I still wanted to see how the story ends, and for about an hour or so I did think the end would make up for the 85% of boredom but then, with the very last chapter - good grief. If you still decide to read the book after all (and there are plenty of people who love it, apparently), do yourself a favor and stop after the scene with the book in the shelf. When they leave the store, stop reading.This might have been a somehow good end, but then the last two pages: no, no, no, no. Just no.

And dear god, it leaves open the prospect of a sequel. Well, I am not going to read it. Und no circumstances 

Two s⭐️⭐️  One for the writing style, which I quite liked, one for the idea / general plot of the story.

No stars for suspense, characters to identify with, humor, and for not being able to make me feel like I knew anything about a person who lived 300 years.

PS also, really, really bad execution of the cover. Great opportunity not taken.



Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen